Timothy P. Nicholson
Tim Nicholson is a corporate and real estate transactional lawyer with extensive experience counseling those in the forest products, agriculture, and agribusiness sectors. His work includes mergers and acquisitions, secured financing, real property, commercial contract review and negotiation, board management, and governance matters. With more than a decade of experience in the agricultural sector prior to practicing law, Tim approaches his clients’ concerns with the industry knowledge and perspective needed to help them assess and manage the challenges ahead.
Tim’s transactional experience includes a broad range of activities, with special emphasis on negotiating and drafting of stock, asset, and real property purchase and sale agreements. In addition, he drafts leases, employment agreements, supply agreements, services agreements, deeds of trust, mortgages, financing statements, and many other transactional documents his clients need to run their businesses.
For nearly 15 years, Tim farmed in the Willamette Valley and worked in the agribusiness sector. His family’s Oregon farm is one of the largest flower seed farms in the world and provides seeds throughout the United States and abroad. Tim also served in the U.S. Navy as an Operations Specialist. He was honorably discharged in 2008.
- Represented an agricultural lender in hundreds of secured financing transactions.
- Served as buyer’s primary closing counsel, managing a team of eight attorneys, for a series of time-sensitive related transactions, including a $300,000,000 acquisition of over half a million acres of timberlands and related operational assets, a $90,000,000 follow-on acquisition of nearly a hundred thousand acres, and simultaneous financings.
- Represented a timberlands company in its $225,000,000 sale and $325,000,000 acquisition involving hundreds of thousands of acres of investment-grade timberlands in California, North Carolina, and Virginia.
- Represented an employee-owned Oregon agricultural supply company in its $60,000,000 equity sale.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest organic agricultural producers in acquiring two processing facilities and multiple farming operations in Georgia and Florida.
- Represented multiple forest products companies in mill acquisitions in Montana and Canada.
- Represented an investment management company in its $90,000,000 sale of Southern Oregon timberlands.
- Represented a public company in reviewing and negotiating various vendor, sales, information technology, privacy, confidentiality, and other commercial contracts.
- Represented a national food processing company in a $55,000,000 equity sale transaction.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar, Agricultural Law Section, Executive Committee (2022-Present)
- Oregon State Bar, Business Law Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Real Estate & Land Use Section, Member
- Stanford Law Veterans Organization (2013-2016)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Ones to Watch, Corporate Governance and Compliance Law (2022-2023)
- Military Excellence Award, United States Navy (2007)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Chemeketa Community CollegeMarch 1, 2022
- Paul Lomio Veterans Legal Assistance Program, Development and Outreach (2014-2016)
- Oregon State UniversityBachelor of Science degree, Agricultural Business Management, minor in Writing, summa cum laude
- Stanford Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree; Stanford Law Review, Articles Editor & Member Editor
Oregon State Courts
Outside The Office
- Enjoying the ground I helped farm for nearly 15 years.