How I represent clients at Schwabe
I am committed to delivering value in all aspects of my diverse practice, which serves both ports and estate planning clients. As the partner in charge of Schwabe’s Vancouver office, I am skilled in matching tasks with talent and managing complex and straightforward matters cost-effectively.
Smooth sailing for ports
I have worked with the Port of Vancouver for almost 30 years, serving as its general counsel for almost 20 years. I provide general counsel services for other ports on an as-needed basis, including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating real estate transaction documents; advising on the Washington Public Records Act and Public Meetings Act; managing litigation and other legal work; and offering day-to-day general recommendations on compliance, legal risks, legal strategies, and legislative and constitutional authority.
I currently serve as the Chair of the Washington Public Ports Association’s (WPPA) Legal Committee, the first non-port employee to serve as chair of any WPPA committee. My port and community experience gives me the ability to work effectively within the political environments of small to midsize communities and municipalities.
Family and business estate planning solutions
My estate planning and wealth transfer practice spans all areas of estate planning, including trusts, guardianships, and probate. I have represented numerous clients with multimillion-dollar estates and have advised personal representatives and trustees on estate, tax, and trust issues. I am regularly appointed Special Representative to assist in complicated family trust matters and provide representation in business succession planning for businesses and estate planning.
“I honestly don’t know how the service level could be higher. Part of the key to this is the leadership Lisa Lowe brings to her personal practice and the Vancouver, WA (and by extension the broader Schwabe family) office. I know with Lisa, and others in Schwabe, that I have a partner to walk down the path to success with me shoulder to shoulder if needed.”
-Port of Vancouver
- Represented the Port of Vancouver in reviewing Washington constitutional and statutory authority for the Port’s involvement as purchaser and subsequent lessor in the development of a special events center.
- Challenging constitutionality of law allowing annexation by a neighboring two-name port district, on behalf of the Port of Vancouver.
- Analyzed the authority of four port districts to obtain land for dredge material outside of their representative port districts.
- Represented the Port of Vancouver in a complicated settlement involving Columbia River Channel Deepening, development of Port real property and ultimate transfer of a portion of the property subject to a conservation easement to a non-profit land trust.
- Negotiated agreement among all beneficiaries of an estate/trust to allow early distribution prior to parent’s death, thereby avoiding estate taxes.
- Represented numerous minor beneficiaries in attempts by adult beneficiaries to terminate trusts early and to revise trust provisions of irrevocable trusts for clarification and tax purposes, including trusts with assets well in excess of $1 million.
- Established pet trust provisions for various clients.
- Integrated estate planning into business succession plans for various closely held businesses.
- Lewis & Clark, Bachelor of Arts degree (1982)
- Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark College, Juris Doctor degree (1985)
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Washington State Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust, and Business Law Sections, Member
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust, and Business Law Sections, Member
- Southwest Washington Estate Planning Council, Member, Former Secretary
- Washington Public Ports Association Legal Committee, Chair
- Columbia River Economic Development Council, Chair
- Washington State Bar Association’s Local Hero Award (2018)
- Iris Awards, Woman of Achievement (2013)
- John L. Schwabe Client Service Award (2012)
- Columbia River Economic Development Council (CREDC) Executive Committee, Emeritus Board Member and Past Member; currently serves as Vice Chair (Present)
- Empower Women + Girls, Founder (2015-Present)
- The Community Foundation of Southwest Washington, Professional Advisory Council Steering Committee, Chair (2013-Present)
- Identity Clark County, Board of Directors, Past Chair (2012-2013)
- Washington Public Ports Association Legal Committee, Chair (2010-Present)
- Humane Society for Southwest Washington, Past Board Member; Planned Giving Committee and Auction Committee, Member
- Southwest Washington Independent Forward Thrust, Past Board Member
- Vancouver Business Journal Strategic Partners, Member
- Washington State University Vancouver Chancellor’s Advisory Council, Past
Wine tasting trips with friends.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox