For every problem, there is a solution.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I help clients resolve disputes in connection with securities, financial services, business, and commercial lease matters. I approach each litigation matter with one goal: to provide optimal value to my clients. I actively work with my clients at the outset of every matter to establish their goals and to develop a measured plan to achieve those goals efficiently and cost-effectively.
As lead counsel in hundreds of commercial disputes during my 24 years of practice, I have extensive experience in state and federal courts and before a wide range of arbitrators and mediators. Depending on the client’s goals, I work to resolve disputes prior to litigation, but will also try cases to verdict when necessary. I am experienced in helping clients resolve matters ranging from violations of the securities, fraudulent transfer and trade secret acts to breach of contract and/or fiduciary obligations to bankruptcy and creditor rights. In addition, I have extensive experience representing landlords and tenants in commercial (retail and industrial) lease disputes.
- Successfully represented broker-dealers in a wide variety of National Association of Securities Dealers/Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (NASD/FINRA) arbitration cases.
- Represented dozens of clients in actions concerning securities fraud and Ponzi schemes.
- Regularly represents clients in litigation matters involving alleged violations of the Washington State Securities Act and Washington State Consumer Protection Act.
- Represented a claimant in NASD/FINRA arbitration that resulted in what is believed to have been the largest single-customer award in Washington history at the time.
- Regularly represents Tenants and Landlords in commercial lease disputes involving industrial and retail premises.
- Negotiates pre-litigation resolutions and workouts of commercial lease issues on behalf of Tenants and Landlords.
Breach of Contract
- Won a complete award of full principal and attorney fees for client in a breach of contract and successor liability trial in King County Superior Court.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation case for clients within three months of commencement of litigation.
- Resolved an LLC member dispute involving complicated trade secret, contract and damages issues.
- Obtained a full defense verdict and attorney fee award in fully litigated commercial lease dispute.
- Obtained a summary judgment dismissal of a breach of contract action within two months of taking over representation.
- Represents lenders in breach of loan agreement actions.
Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Represents plaintiffs and defendants in director and officer breach of fiduciary duty cases.
- Represents numerous clients in securities actions alleging or defending breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Successfully defended client in multiple shareholder strike suits brought in connection with client’s acquisition of a public company.
- Served as local counsel in a breach of fiduciary duty and RICO case alleging damages in excess of $150,000,000.
- Represents plaintiffs and defendants in actions involving alleged violations of the Uniform and Washington Trade Secrets Act.
- Represents plaintiffs and defendants in state, federal and bankruptcy court actions involving alleged fraudulent transfers of assets by debtors.
Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights
- Regularly represents creditors in bankruptcy court and related adversary proceedings.
- Advises and represents clients in connection with creditors’ rights and debt collection issues.
- Represents clients in enforcing secured rights in collateral.
- Seattle University School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, cum laude (1998)
- Whitman College, Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics (1993)
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association, Business Litigation and Securities Litigation Sections
- King County Bar Association, Member
- Washington Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2014-2022)
- YouthForce, Advisory Board, Former Member
- Seattle Prep School Alumni, Board Member (2003-2013)
- King County Bar Association Greenwood Neighborhood Legal Clinic, Pro Bono Volunteer Attorney
- White River Recreational Association Board Member
Skiing, competitive tennis and spending time with my wife and four daughters.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox