The best parts of being an attorney are learning and working with people. Each transaction grants additional insight into people’s motivations, community issues, and the impact of government.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
Unlike many real estate practitioners, I have experience appearing in court and before administrative bodies in multiple jurisdictions. This background informs my ability to navigate the intricacies of contractual documents to minimize risk and increase client benefits. I regularly advise developers, landowners, and landlords on real estate transactions and commercial leasing matters. Through the course of every representation, I build relationships with clients to understand their objectives and strategically meet their goals.
In correlation with my real estate practice, I focus on utility-scale renewable energy development. I assist my clients with all phases of development, beginning with site control, obtaining land use entitlements, and negotiating ancillary agreements. I have obtained land use entitlements on behalf of developers for over 30 Oregon solar projects. I also assist my clients in navigating construction finance transactions and the purchase and sale of energy project portfolios. I am active in the renewable energy community and have sat on the Board of the Oregon Solar + Storage Industries Association (OSSIA) for the past several years.
Early in my legal career, I was an Assistant Attorney General for the American Samoa Office of the Attorney General. There, I worked with the U.S. Department of Labor to bring the territorial government into compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act. I also acted as in-house counsel to various government departments. Prior to my time in American Samoa, I represented California hospitals and inpatient psychiatric facilities in medical malpractice actions. In my time as a litigator, I regularly appeared in state, federal and bankruptcy courts. My background in multiple jurisdictions helps me to pivot quickly to address a broad range of client needs.
- Represented utility in multi-state conveyance of land and associated energy generation facilities.
- Worked with tribal entity to redevelop of distressed land into mixed-use commercial development and cultural resource center.
- Negotiated with state agencies on behalf of municipal entity to develop electric vehicle project.
- Represented numerous utility-scale solar developers in the Pacific Northwest to obtain necessary entitlements and assisted them in real estate transactions, including ground leases and sale of solar energy portfolios.
- Advised non-profits and landowners in drafting and negotiation of cell tower leases and associated easements.
- Advises and consults with developers and landowners on real estate and land use matters, including a variety of real estate transactions, zoning analyses, and obtaining land use entitlements.
- Performs due diligence for real estate transactions, including review of title reports, escrow documents, closing documents, deeds, easements, legal descriptions, environmental reviews, and surveys.
- Negotiates and prepares commercial leases, ground leases, property and business sale agreements, deeds, entity formation documents, and contracts.
- Provides municipal government advice, including drafting and amendment of policies and resolutions, research and analysis of complex legal issues, and drafting and negotiation of agreements and contracts.
- Lewis & Clark Law School, Juris Doctor degree (2008)
- University of Colorado Boulder, Bachelor of Arts degree, Environmental Studies (2002)
- California Federal Court
- California State Courts
- High Court of American Samoa
- Oregon Federal Court
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- Washington Federal Court
- Oregon Solar + Storage Industries Association, Board Member (2019-present)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Member, Women’s Initiative Committee (2018-present)
- Women in Commercial Real Estate (CREW), Member, Networking Committee (2018-present)
- Oregon Women Lawyers, Member (2013-present)
- Rose Villa, Inc. and Rose Villa Foundation, Board Member (2019-2021)
- Oregon Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2019-2020)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Ones to Watch, Land Use and Zoning Law (2021-2023)
“The CARES Act: Intersection Between Real Estate and Bankruptcy”
“The CARES Act: Effects on Residential and Multifamily Borrowers and Tenants”
“The CARES Act: Effects on Commercial Landlords”
Nuisances: More than Just Irritating
Community Associations Institute Law Day
Ask an Attorney Panel
Community Associations Institute – Central Oregon Regional Chapter
Real Estate Case Law Update
Oregon State Bar Real Estate and Land Use Section Webinar
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon, Senior Law Project, Volunteer (2016-2020)
Finding outdoor adventures with my friends and family.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox