Measure twice, cut once.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I help my clients navigate Oregon and Washington water laws. Since joining Schwabe in 2004, I have focused on water rights and in-water projects, finding straightforward solutions to complex water supply problems. My clients range from individuals, farms, and ranches, to special districts and municipalities.
I am a practical, results-oriented lawyer who recognizes that the best approach is often the simplest. My reservoir of knowledge and experience allow me to quickly identify potential solutions and provide customized, cost-effective advice. I value and draw upon the experience of colleagues, consultants, and agency personnel to help accomplish my clients’ goals.
- Advised a global investment company on water rights aspects of transactions involving over 20,000 irrigated acres, including preparation and negotiation of water delivery agreements.
- Represented a ranch client in negotiating a flow restoration agreement with The Freshwater Trust. Our client was paid to reduce irrigation for the benefit of summer steelhead.
- Helped a social media company acquire water rights and related mitigation credits for a data center.
- Formed a water supply district for a group of irrigators and helped the district secure water rights and a long-term water service contract with the Bureau of Reclamation.
- Secured extension of water district permits through 2050, including successful negotiation of a settlement agreement.
- Completed numerous water-related due diligence investigations for a national real estate investment company.
- Obtained mitigation for water rights in a scenic waterway, hydraulically connected groundwater, and Deschutes ground and surface water rights.
- Assisted applicants in obtaining water rights (storage, groundwater, surface water), transfers, permit amendments and extensions, groundwater modifications, and other authorizations from and agreements with the Oregon Water Resources Department.
- Willamette University College of Law, Juris Doctor degree, cum laude (2004)
- Portland State University, Bachelor of Arts degree, Philosophy, with highest honors (2000)
- Oregon State Courts
- Utah State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- Oregon Water Resources Congress, Member
- Oregon State Bar Environmental and Natural Resources Section, Member
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt’s Low-Income Legal Clinic, Volunteer Lawyer
- Community Emergency Response Team, Salem, Oregon, Member
- Chemeketans Outdoor Club, Executive Council
Adventures in the great outdoors, including backpacking, mountaineering, rock climbing, and backcountry skiing.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox