Elizabeth E. Howard
Elizabeth Howard helps agriculture, forest product and energy businesses navigate burdensome regulations, negotiate favorable resolutions with agencies, defend against injunctions and cancellations, resolve enforcement actions and obtain permits. She is particularly experienced in the areas of water rights, water quality, endangered and threatened species, grazing and public lands.
Elizabeth has a strong industry focus on agriculture, and advocates on behalf of state organizations that represent ranches, farms and dairies. One client said, “There’s nobody that knows the ranching business and leases, BLM (Bureau of Land Management) ground, forestry ground, and water rights issues in the state [of Oregon] as well as she does.” Because of her time working in and with the industry, she is regarded as a trusted legal advisor, working on all aspects of her clients’ operations, whether they are expanding, transitioning, selling, facing increased regulation or facing pressures from neighbors.
- Obtained U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Section 10 Permit, including working through multiple tribal consultations and a NOAA Fisheries (NMFS) biological opinion.
- Assisted applicants in National Marine Fisheries Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service consultations on Oregon spotted frog, streaked horned larks, salmon, steelhead, bull trout and lamprey.
- Reviewed and advised clients on Candidate Conservation Agreements and Candidate Conservation Agreements with Assurances.
- Intervened in more than a dozen cases on behalf of natural resource clients in cases addressing National Environmental Policy Act compliance, endangered or threatened species, wild and scenic rivers, wilderness, special designations and monuments, and wild horses.
- Mediated grazing permit enforcement actions to restore grazing activity on USFS and BLM lands.
- Representing industry associations in the defense of the Oregon Agriculture Water Quality Management Act (SB 1010).
- Advising industry associations on how to navigate changes to temperature and bacteria water quality standards.
- Worked on an innovative wild horse adoption program that led to removal of over 1,000 head of wild horses from public lands in southeast Oregon.
- Developed strategies to expand water rights for Willamette Valley farmers.
- Successfully protected aggregate business in proceedings to cancel water rights.
- Defended enforcement of a CAFO permit for a large family-owned dairy.
- Settled a logging contract violation issued by the Oregon Department of Forestry.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar, Agricultural Law Section, Former Chair
- Oregon State Bar, Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section, Member
- Oregon Cattlemen’s Association, Member
- Oregon Farm Bureau, Member
- Oregon Dairy Farmers’ Association, Member
- Washington Cattlemen’s Association, Member
- National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, Member
- Oregon Forest Industry Council, Legal Committee member
- American Forest Resource Council, Member
- Best Lawyers in America award, Water Law (2012-2019)
- Oregon State University, College of Agricultural Sciences Alumni Luminary award (2011)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Rising Star in Environmental Law award (2008-2012, 2015)
- Portland Business Journal, Forty Under 40 award (2009)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers, “Law Firm of the Year” in Timber Law, Team Member (2015 and 2018)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers, National Tier 1 Firm in Timber Law, Team Member (2015-2018)
Resources & Ideas
- August 15, 2018
- Capital PressJune 11, 2018
- January 16, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Oregon Business, May 1, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- October 9, 2013
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- December 4, 2018
- November 8, 2018
- September 27, 2018
- July 20, 2018
- April 19, 2018
- April 6, 2018
- November 10, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- Pendleton, OR, May 31, 2017
- Beef magazine, January 27, 2016
- December 19, 2018
- December 5, 2018
- Marbled Murrelet Listed as Endangered Under Oregon’s Endangered Species Act: What Does It Mean for Timber Landowners and Operators in Oregon?April 16, 2018
- December 21, 2016
- June 30, 2016
- October 9, 2015
- August 28, 2015
- June 9, 2015
- June 4, 2015
- Capital Press, May 29, 2014
- May 21, 2014
- Village Baptist Church, Leadership Team
- Western Resources Legal Center, Board Member (2005-2012)
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor, magna cum laude (2001)
- Oregon State UniversityBachelor of Science degree, Agriculture and Resource Economics (1998)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
North Dakota State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office
- Family, running, reading, church, music, and cheering on the Trail Blazers!