Clients with development projects, in both urban and rural settings, need to navigate complex land use issues and often turn to Ken Katzaroff for advice. He is known for his comprehensive approach in understanding projects from the ground up.
Whether working with big-box retailers, destination resorts, housing project developers, or other institutional-scale master plans, Ken understands each client’s unique challenges and builds his approach accordingly. His experience includes appellate proceedings, all levels of land use entitlement, state water rights, State Environmental Policy Act mitigation, and surface mining permitting. Ken also routinely collaborates on legislative amendments to facilitate the growing demand for mixed-use developments.
Ken brings a 360-degree perspective through his previous experience working as in-house General Counsel for a family of privately held development companies with projects throughout the Pacific Northwest. This direct industry involvement gives him an edge over other land use lawyers. He is experienced in managing complex real estate development projects with a multitude of legal and practical issues at play. His success comes from his care and personal attention to his clients.
- Land use counsel for health care system in active expansion.
- Manage land use permitting for large-format retailers.
- Successfully represented a destination resort developer in numerous land-use appeals before the Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals, Oregon Court of Appeals, and Oregon Supreme Court.
- Represented private airstrip with entitlement and appeals for property in an exclusive farm use zone.
- Manage all aspects of the development, regulatory approval, and subsequent appellate proceedings for a 170+ acre luxury housing development in Bend, Oregon, including land use entitlement, state water rights, and surface mining permitting.
- Legal representation to real estate investors, including handling complex operating agreements, security agreements, and private placement memoranda.
Memberships & Awards
- Central Oregon Impact Summit, Advisory Board Member (2015-present)
- Phi Kappa Psi (2003-present)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Ones to Watch, Natural Resources Law (2021-2022)
- Ninth Circuit Review, Lewis and Clark
- Dean’s Scholarship for Excellence, Lewis and Clark (2011-2014)
- Cascade Business News, Accomplished Under 40 (2015)
Resources & Ideas
- Best LawyersAugust 19, 2021
- The Blue Mountain EagleNovember 24, 2020
- August 20, 2020
- Daily Journal of CommerceMarch 26, 2020
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 3February 24, 2022
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide, Part 4February 24, 2022
- Asking for Forgiveness: Further Revised PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications and Guidance (Updated 08/12/2021)August 12, 2021
- First Draw Loans at or Over $2 million—SBA Discontinues Use of Necessity Questionnaires and What Is NextAugust 3, 2021
- August 3, 2021
- What to Know about the Paycheck Protection Program, Round Two – First Draw PPP Loans (Updated 5/5/2021)May 5, 2021
- 10 Things to Know about Second Draw PPP Loans as Updated for the Economic Aid Act and the ARP Act (Updated 5/5/2021)May 5, 2021
- PPP Ineligibility Update: Businesses Ineligible for First Draw and Second Draw PPP Loans (Updated 4/8/2021)April 8, 2021
- March 26, 2021
- March 25, 2021
- American Rescue Plan Act: Changes to Paycheck Protection Program, Certain Tax and ERISA Provisions, and Other Small Business ReliefMarch 12, 2021
- March 3, 2021
- New 14-day exclusive period for businesses with fewer than 20 employees starts February 24February 23, 2021
- January 27, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 2January 26, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 1January 26, 2021
- Highlights of PPP Loan Items in the Economic Aid to Hard-Hit Small Businesses, Nonprofits, and Venues Act and 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act (Updated 01/06/2021)January 6, 2021
- December 31, 2020
- December 30, 2020
- November 5, 2020
- November 2, 2020
- August 19, 2020
- August 12, 2020
- August 7, 2020
- August 7, 2020
- August 7, 2020
- SBA Issues Additional PPP Rules on Effect of State and Local COVID-19 Orders and Other Items on Loan ForgivenessJune 29, 2020
- What to Know for Businesses Completing the Revised PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications (Updated 6/25/2020)June 25, 2020
- June 19, 2020
- June 11, 2020
- April 29, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- March 31, 2020
- Bend Chamber of Commerce, Advocacy Council, Chair (2019-present); Vice Chair (2015-2019)
- Bend Chamber of Commerce Legislative Committee, Chair (2019-present)
- Bend Chamber of Commerce, Member (2016-2019)
- Political Action Committee (PAC) Board, Member (2018-present)
- Leadership Bend Advisory Board (2015-present)
- Leadership Bend Class of 2015
- Lewis and Clark Environmental Law Review, Associate Editor (2012-2014)
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree, cum laude, Cornelius Honor Society (2014)
- University of WashingtonBachelor’s Degree, Business Administration (2007)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts