Maren Calvert has a passion for real estate, land use, and getting clients “unstuck.”
She advises commercial property owners on purchase and sale agreements and leases and assists developers with commercial, industrial, and multi-family residential development projects. Having worked both in and out of government, Maren is adept at preparing and negotiating permits, land use applications, development agreements, and inter-governmental and public-private partnership agreements.
Skilled in and out of the courtroom, Maren represents clients in real estate and land use disputes, administrative hearings, and appeals. Trained in collaborative law, she also mediates business, land use, and commercial real estate matters.
Maren’s experience in public policy, government relations, commercial litigation, and administrative law combines uniquely to help clients think strategically and engage government in regulatory, legislative, and judicial settings.
Maren retired as an Air Force Reserve Judge Advocate General (JAG) in 2018. Prior to that, she practiced law at Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing (now Dentons) in Honolulu and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in Los Angeles.
Commercial Real Estate
- Successfully litigated Growth Management Act challenges ultimately dismissed as moot by the Washington Court of Appeals.
- Obtained a favorable bench trial decision regarding a private easement in a public right of way.
- Advocated for and won appeal against a historic building demolition permit application.
- Successfully negotiates multi-million-dollar development agreements.
- Advocated for and obtained County and City Comprehensive Plan map designation changes.
- Obtained a favorable decision on summary judgment declaring Public Records Act inapplicable to a private foundation.
- Facilitated 100% successful transition, sale, and litigation of 46 commercial leases during the K-Mart bankruptcy, which maximized value for the estate.
- Litigated a complex-financing, public-private partnership multi-family housing project that resolved multi-million-dollar fraud and breach of contract claims.
- Litigated and mediated a mixed-use condominium association dispute and negotiated mutually-agreeable compromise, bringing an end to decade-long dispute others thought intractable.
- Litigated a construction dispute over failed concrete, mitigated loss and limited liability.
Memberships & Awards
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution, Member (2018-present)
- Joseph G. Lineberger Excellence Award (2018)
- Air Force Reserve Component Judge Advocate General of the Year (2014)
- Headquarters Air Force Reserve Component Judge Advocate General of the Year (2013)
- Lowry Award for Excellence in Academics, Officership, & Esprit de Corps (2010)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
“WUCIOA (the Washington Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act) and Easements Ain’t Easy,” Fidelity National Title Designated/Managing Broker Quarterly meeting, May 2022
“WUCIOA: Lessons Learned Four Years In,” Land Surveyor’s Association of Washington, March 2022
“Easements Ain’t Easy,” Land Surveyor’s Association of Washington, March 2022
“Public Information Requests: Public or Private?” CASE Annual Conference for College and University Foundations, panelist, March 2021
“New Condo/Plat Law (WUCIOA): What Surveyors Need to Know,” Land Surveyor’s Association of Washington, February 2020
“Condos, Plats, and Coops: How WUCIOA changed the game,” 2019 Builders’ Summit, October 2019
“New Condo/Plat Law (WUCIOA): What Surveyors Need to Know,” Land Surveyor’s Association of Washington, Southwest Chapter, September 2019
“WUCIOA: Municipal Requirements Work Session,” May 2019
“Developing Subdivisions, Condominiums & Cooperatives: WUCIOA Changes Everything,” BIA, May 2019
- Combat Wounded Veterans Challenge, Treasurer (2019-present)
- Association of Washington Businesses, Board Member, (2019-present)
- Identity Clark County, Ed Lynch Honorary Board Member (2019)
- Georgetown UniversityGovernment Affairs Institute, Legislative Affairs certificate (2012)
- United States Air Force AcademyBachelor of Science, Humanities degree, Distinguished Graduate (1993)
- University of California at Los Angeles School of LawJuris Doctor degree, Order of the Coif (2001)
Washington State Courts
Oregon State Courts
Hawaii State Courts (inactive)
California State Courts (inactive)
Ninth Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals Hawaii State Courts (inactive)
California State Courts (inactive)
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii (inactive)
U.S. District Court, Central District of California (inactive)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
Outside The Office
- You’ll likely find Maren around water, boats, and family.