Matt Bisturis helps companies and their owners navigate the legal challenges that come with establishing, growing, operating, and eventually transitioning their businesses. Matt’s business background and experience handling commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate governance allow him to provide valuable guidance to clients of all sizes and across various industries, including manufacturing, distribution, and retail, and real estate and construction.
An ally for every stage of the business cycle
Whether it is helping a local entrepreneur select the right structure for a new venture, assisting a growth-stage company with a financing, implementing legal strategies to help protect valuable business assets, solving difficult governance problems, negotiating complex commercial agreements to help a client improve its supply chain, or handling a high-stakes merger, Matt uses his transactional experience and solution-oriented approach to help companies at all stages of their life cycle succeed.
Adding value through transition planning
Matt is adept at helping business owners apply transition planning strategies to maximize, capture, and keep the illiquid wealth they have built in their closely held businesses. As a member of Schwabe’s Privately Held Businesses & Enterprises group, he has evaluated myriad options for passing businesses to new ownership and helped develop and implement creative transition and succession planning techniques.
Privately Held Businesses & Enterprises
- Developed and implemented business transition plans for family-owned and closely held businesses in the construction, manufacturing, professional services, healthcare, and other industries.
- Represented a privately held company in stock redemption from a founder/majority shareholder and the transition of ownership to key
- Implemented a stock redemption plan for a multi-generational, family-owned manufacturing company.
- Developed an employee stock plan to allow a closely held construction company to expand ownership to key employees.
- Handled contested division of ownership of family business interests.
Mergers and acquisitions
- Closed the sale of a third-party administrator business to a private equity-backed
- Advised an international apparel company in the strategic acquisition of a regional specialty footwear manufacturer.
- Represented an employee-owned environmental services company in the sale of the business to a strategic purchaser.
- Represented a regional cold storage company in the sale to a strategic buyer.
- Represented a packaging distribution company in a reorganization and sale to a private equity buyer.
- Represented an electrical equipment manufacturer in the sale to a strategic buyer.
- Represented a software technology company in the sale to a strategic buyer with private equity backing.
- Represented owners of to-go pizza restaurant franchises in the sale to a strategic buyer.
- Represented a metal fabrication company in the sale to a strategic buyer with financing component.
- Represented a food processing company in the sale to a private equity buyer with rollover equity component.
- Represented an owner of a portfolio of senior housing facilities in the sale to a financial buyer.
- Represented a property management company in the strategic acquisition of a management company.
- Represented a construction supply company in a strategic acquisition to facilitate regional expansion.
- Represented a marketing agency in the sale of business and real estate to a strategic buyer.
- Represented owners of chiropractic clinics in the sale of a portfolio of clinics to a private equity buyer.
- Advised a nonprofit corporation in a merger with another nonprofit to facilitate growth.
- Represented owners in the purchase of a food manufacturing company.
- Advised the board of directors of a large nonprofit healthcare system regarding development and implementation of a corporate governance model designed to further its strategic
- Advised the board and management of a global manufacturing company and of a regional construction company with multiple subsidiaries on corporate governance, board meetings, and shareholder relations.
- Advised a local brewery in formation, corporate structuring, and governance
- Assisted charitable organizations in obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status.
- Implemented changes to the capital structure of a large regional construction company to facilitate distribution of wealth to family member shareholders.
- Advised a regional mental health provider on ownership structure and buy-sell agreements.
- Prepared complex commercial agreements with customers and suppliers for companies in the manufacturing, distribution, retail, and healthcare industries.
- Assisted a rebar manufacturing company in the purchase of an operations
- Counseled a lender to successful closing of commercial loans to local businesses and real estate developers.
- Negotiated commercial lease terms for businesses looking to expand, renew, or move locations.
- Drafted and negotiated a joint venture agreement for an educational services provider.
Memberships & Awards
- Washington State Bar, Business Law Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Business Law Section, Member
- Clark County Bar Association, Member
- “Accomplished & Under 40” award, Vancouver Business Journal (2011)
- George C. Marshall Public Leadership award (2014)
Resources & Ideas
- Identity Clark CountyNovember 19, 2019
- The ColumbianOctober 1, 2018
- Vancouver Business Journal, May 1, 2015
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Construction Executive Summit 2019February 7, 2019
- Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce Fall Business Law Workshop Series: Raising Money - Alternatives and Legal PitfallsSeptember 28, 2017
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt: 1211 SW 5th Avenue, Portland, OR 97204, September 22, 2017
- Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce Fall Business Law Workshop Series: The Legal Framework to Sell or Transfer Ownership of Your BusinessSeptember 7, 2017
- Spokane, WA, December 9, 2016
- Estate Planning and Business Transition Issues Not to Overlook Before the Year-End (Updated 12/11/20)December 11, 2020
- Vancouver Business JournalJuly 12, 2019
- March 29, 2019
- Opportunity MagazineFebruary 26, 2019
- May 2, 2018
- Daily Journal of Commerce, October 10, 2016
- Vancouver Business Journal, January 8, 2016
- Daily Journal of Commerce, February 6, 2015
- Identity Clark County, Board of Directors, Ed Lynch Honorary Director (2019-2020)
- Parks Foundation of Vancouver and Clark County, Board of Directors and former President
- Leadership Clark County, Class of 2010 graduate and member of recruitment committee
- Washington State University-Vancouver Agricultural Entrepreneurship and Business Planning program, volunteer instructor on business formation
- Columbia River Economic Development Council, supporter and speaker on legal topics
- Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce, member and speaker on legal topics
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree (2007)
- University of Puget SoundBachelor of Arts degree, cum laude (2004)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Hiking, camping, golfing, skiing and exploring the coast with my family.