Matt Bisturis helps companies and their owners navigate the legal challenges that come with establishing, growing, operating and eventually transitioning their businesses. Matt’s business background and his experience handling both business and real estate transactions allows him to provide valuable guidance to clients of all sizes and across various industries.
A partner for every stage of the business cycle
Whether it is helping a local entrepreneur select the right structure for a new venture, assisting a growth-stage company with a financing, implementing legal strategies to help protect valuable business assets, solving complex governance problems for a nonprofit or negotiating a lease for a client’s expansion facility, Matt uses his transactional experience and solution-oriented approach to help companies at all stages of their life cycle succeed.
Adding value through transition planning
Matt particularly enjoys helping business owners apply transition planning strategies to maximize, capture and keep the illiquid wealth they have built in their closely held businesses. As a member of Schwabe’s Business Transitions Group, he has evaluated myriad options for passing businesses to new ownership and helped develop and implement creative transition planning techniques.
- Developed and implemented business transition plans for family and closely held businesses in the construction, manufacturing, professional services and other industries.
- Advised board of directors of a large, non-profit healthcare system regarding development and implementation of corporate governance model designed to further its strategic objectives.
- Closed the sale of a third-party administrator business to a private equity-backed buyer.
- Advised an international apparel company in strategic acquisition of regional specialty footwear manufacturer.
- Represented a privately held company in stock redemption from founder/majority shareholder and the transition of ownership to key management.
- Represented an employee-owned environmental services company in sale of the business to strategic purchaser.
- Assisted a rebar manufacturing company in purchase of operations facility.
- Counseled lender to successful closing of commercial loans to local businesses and real estate developers.
- Advised a local brewery in formation, corporate structuring and governance matters.
Memberships & Awards
- Washington State Bar, Business Law Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Business Law Section, Member
- Clark County Bar Association, Member
- “Accomplished & Under 40” award, Vancouver Business Journal (2011)
- George C. Marshall Public Leadership award (2014)
Resources & Ideas
- Identity Clark CountyNovember 19, 2019
- The ColumbianOctober 1, 2018
- Vancouver Business Journal, May 1, 2015
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Construction Executive Summit 2019February 7, 2019
- Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce Fall Business Law Workshop Series: Raising Money - Alternatives and Legal PitfallsSeptember 28, 2017
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt: 1211 SW 5th Avenue, Portland, OR 97204, September 22, 2017
- Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce Fall Business Law Workshop Series: The Legal Framework to Sell or Transfer Ownership of Your BusinessSeptember 7, 2017
- Spokane, WA, December 9, 2016
- Estate Planning and Business Transition Issues Not to Overlook Before the Year-End (Updated 12/11/20)December 11, 2020
- Vancouver Business JournalJuly 12, 2019
- March 29, 2019
- Opportunity MagazineFebruary 26, 2019
- May 2, 2018
- Daily Journal of Commerce, October 10, 2016
- Vancouver Business Journal, January 8, 2016
- Daily Journal of Commerce, February 6, 2015
- Identity Clark County, Board of Directors, Ed Lynch Honorary Director (2019-2020)
- Parks Foundation of Vancouver and Clark County, Board of Directors and former President
- Leadership Clark County, Class of 2010 graduate and member of recruitment committee
- Washington State University-Vancouver Agricultural Entrepreneurship and Business Planning program, volunteer instructor on business formation
- Columbia River Economic Development Council, supporter and speaker on legal topics
- Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce, member and speaker on legal topics
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree (2007)
- University of Puget SoundBachelor of Arts degree, cum laude (2004)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Hiking, camping, golfing, skiing and exploring the coast with my family.