Service Group Leader
I enjoy working with other hardworking individuals to solve problems. It is particularly rewarding to see operations growing and succeeding despite the many challenges they face.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I work with companies and individuals to navigate complex natural resource and environmental regulations, and to obtain permits and authorizations. I also defend and resolve enforcement and regulatory actions from environmental and natural resources agencies in Oregon. My experience includes water; wetlands; endangered, threatened, and sensitive species; Confined Animal Feeding Operations; fertilizers and pesticides; and public and federal lands.
I have a strong focus on natural resources, agriculture, and commercial and residential development. Because of my time working within these industries, I am regarded as a trusted legal advisor, guiding clients through all aspects of their operations and business activities.
I work with landowners, developers, investors, farms, ranches, dairies, energy development companies, timberland owners, ports, and cities throughout Oregon and Washington.
Chambers & Partners USA, client highlights
“Elizabeth Howard is very good. She is an expert in her field of agricultural and water law and she is really impressive.”
- Assisted applicants in obtaining water rights (storage, groundwater, surface water), transfers, permit amendments and extensions, groundwater modifications, and other authorizations from and agreements with the Oregon Water Resources Department.
- Assisted in obtaining Oregon state removal/fill permits, Section 404 (Army Corps of Engineers) permits, Section 401 state water quality certifications, Mutual Order and Agreements, and fish passage authorizations.
- Defended and resolved enforcement actions issued by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, Department of State Lands, Department of Agriculture, Water Resources Department, and Department of Forestry.
- Coordinated and led consultant, engineer, public relations, and attorney teams to timely complete complex projects and to defend against state regulatory actions.
- Provided water rights due diligence, environmental due diligence, and public lands rights of way (access) due diligence and advice for developments, real estate transactions, asset purchases, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Assisted landowners and entities in developing federal and state legislative concepts. Participated in rulemaking and legislative work groups.
- Represented applicants in contested cases before the Oregon Administrative Hearings Office.
- Resolved fish damage and water quality impact claims (civil and administrative) through a negotiated settlement with multiple state and federal agencies.
- Resolved public land trespass notices and enforcement actions related to fires, grazing, and access.
- Resolved, through stipulated agreement and mutual order and agreement, various Oregon Department of Agriculture claims related to pesticide labeling, use, and applications.
- Resolved grazing permit enforcement actions and restored grazing activity on U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands.
- Defended high profile enforcement and termination actions for individual CAFO permit issued to Oregon dairy.
- Defended and settled reforestation and harvest violations issued by the Oregon Department of Forestry.
- Assisted in development of Biological Assessments and Biological Evaluations, and obtaining Biological Opinions.
- Oregon State University, Bachelor of Science degree, Agriculture and Resource Economics (1998)
- Lewis & Clark Law School, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude (2001)
- North Dakota State Courts
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- United States Supreme Court
- Oregon State Bar, Agricultural Law Section, Former Chair
- Oregon State Bar, Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section, Member
- Ranked for Environment Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2021-2023)
- Best Lawyers in America award, Lawyer of the Year, Portland Water Law (2022)
- Best Lawyers in America award, Water Law (2012-2022)
- Oregon State University, College of Agricultural Sciences Alumni Luminary award (2011)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Rising Star in Environmental Law award (2008-2012, 2015)
- Portland Business Journal, Forty Under 40 award (2009)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms, “Law Firm of the Year” in Timber Law, Team Member (2015, 2018, 2020, and 2022)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms, National Tier 1 Firm in Timber Law, Team Member (2011-2022)
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox