Buying or developing major projects in the West is complicated—I can help.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
As an environmental, land use, and real estate attorney, I advise on large- and small-scale projects throughout the West. I aid clients in the realm of energy, natural resources, and agriculture to buy or sell, permit, and grow their operations.
I grew up on an island in Southeast Alaska, where I developed my lifelong love of the outdoors. Before law school I was an electrical engineer and then served as a combat engineer officer in the Marine Corps. An avid outdoorsman and mountaineer, I spend much of my time in the wilder parts of the West, usually with my two dogs, Copper and Chief, and often chasing game birds or fresh powder, depending on the season.
I play where I work, and I am proud of the work I do to support the industries providing important economic and environmental support for local communities throughout the Western United States.
- Advised clients on land use permitting for early-stage renewable energy projects in Washington and Oregon.
- Counseled clients on compliance with federal and state environmental laws, including National Environmental Policy Act; Endangered Species Act; Migratory Bird Treaty Act; Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act; Clean Water Act; and Clean Air Act.
- Counseled client on land use concerns for battery energy storage system on fee land in Indian country.
- Counseled client on potential impacts of traditional cultural values under the National Historic Preservation Act for renewable development project.
- Advised client on land use permitting for development of renewable natural gas facilities in Washington and Oregon.
- Advised developers seeking to mitigate the risks associated with purchase of landfills and other brownfields for solar development.
- Provided real estate counsel to numerous developers acquiring early and development stage renewable energy projects.
- Negotiated real estate and environmental provisions of purchase and sale agreements for purchase of renewable energy projects.
- Represented a seller of a tenancy-in-common interest in a commercial development.
- Represented landlord in lease and easement negotiations.
- Harvard Law School, Juris Doctor degree (2021)
- University of Tennessee, Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Sociology/Criminal Justice, cum laude (2012)
- Oregon State Courts
Harvard Cabin Advisory Board, Board Member (2020-present)
- Future Farmers of America, volunteer (2023-present)
- North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association, volunteer (2021-present)
- Casa Hogar Luz Alba orphanage, volunteer; Arequipa, Peru (2013)
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox