Driven by a passion for people and the real estate industry, I empower my clients to build the future they’ve always envisioned and keep roadblocks to a minimum.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I have a passion for real estate, land use, and getting clients “unstuck.”
A key part of my practice is advising commercial property owners on purchase and sale agreements and leases and assisting developers with commercial, industrial, and multi-family residential development projects. Having worked both in and out of government, I am adept at preparing and negotiating permits, land use applications, development agreements, and inter-governmental and public-private partnership agreements.
Skilled in and out of the courtroom, I represent clients in real estate and land use disputes, administrative hearings, and appeals. Trained in collaborative law, I also mediate business, land use, and commercial real estate matters.
My experience in public policy, government relations, commercial litigation, and administrative law combines uniquely to help my clients think strategically and engage government in regulatory, legislative, and judicial settings.
I previously practiced law at Horenstein Law Group, Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing (now Dentons) in Honolulu and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in Los Angeles. I am also retired as an Air Force Reserve Judge Advocate General (JAG) in 2018.
Commercial Real Estate
- Successfully litigated Growth Management Act challenges ultimately dismissed as moot by the Washington Court of Appeals.
- Obtained a favorable bench trial decision regarding a private easement in a public right of way.
- Advocated for and won appeal against a historic building demolition permit application.
- Successfully negotiates multi-million-dollar development agreements.
- Advocated for and obtained County and City Comprehensive Plan map designation changes.
- Obtained a favorable decision on summary judgment declaring Public Records Act inapplicable to a private foundation.
- Facilitated 100% successful transition, sale, and litigation of 46 commercial leases during the K-Mart bankruptcy, which maximized value for the estate.
- Litigated a complex-financing, public-private partnership multi- family housing project that resolved multi-million-dollar fraud and breach of contract claims.
- Litigated and mediated a mixed-use condominium association dispute and negotiated mutually-agreeable compromise, bringing an end to decade-long dispute others thought intractable.
- Litigated a construction dispute over failed concrete, mitigated loss and limited liability.
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, Order of the Coif (2001)
- United States Air Force Academy, Bachelor of Science, Humanities degree, Distinguished Graduate (1993)
- Georgetown University, Government Affairs Institute, Legislative Affairs Certificate (2012)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Armed Forces
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution, Member (2018-present)
- Joseph Lineberger Excellence Award (2018)
- Air Force Reserve Component Judge Advocate General of the Year (2014)
- Headquarters Air Force Reserve Component Judge Advocate General of the Year (2013)
- Lowry Award for Excellence in Academics, Officership, & Esprit de Corps (2010)
“WUCIOA (the Washington Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act) and Easements Ain’t Easy,” Fidelity National Title Designated/Managing Broker Quarterly meeting, May 2022
“WUCIOA: Lessons Learned Four Years In,” Land Surveyor’s Association of Washington, March 2022
“Easements Ain’t Easy,” Land Surveyor’s Association of Washington, March 2022
“Public Information Requests: Public or Private?” CASE Annual Conference for College and University Foundations, panelist, March 2021
“New Condo/Plat Law (WUCIOA): What Surveyors Need to Know,” Land Surveyor’s Association of Washington, February 2020
“Condos, Plats, and Coops: How WUCIOA changed the game,” 2019 Builders’ Summit, October 2019
“New Condo/Plat Law (WUCIOA): What Surveyors Need to Know,” Land Surveyor’s Association of Washington, Southwest Chapter, September 2019
“WUCIOA: Municipal Requirements Work Session,” May 2019
“Developing Subdivisions, Condominiums & Cooperatives: WUCIOA Changes Everything,” BIA, May 2019
- Combat Wounded Veterans Challenge, Treasurer (2019-present)
- Association of Washington Businesses, Board Member, (2019-present)
- Identity Clark County, Ed Lynch Honorary Board Member (2019)
You'll likely find Maren around water, boats, and family.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox