How I represent clients at Schwabe
As the leader of Schwabe’s Consumer Products, Manufacturing, and Retail Industry Group and as a Shareholder in our Intellectual Property Department, I am part of a talented team of lawyers dedicated to serving Pacific Northwest consumer products, manufacturers, and retailers. With more than 20 years of experience in brand management and protection, particularly in the outdoor and athletic, and food and beverage industries, I offer strategic advice to clients regarding the selection, registration, and enforcement of trademarks in the United States and worldwide, copyright protection and enforcement; anti-counterfeiting strategies; internet domain name disputes; the transfer and licensing of intellectual property rights; joint development agreements; IP due diligence for mergers and acquisitions; and entertainment, media, and advertising law, including advising clients on advertising and promotional campaigns, marketing contracts, sponsorship agreements, influencer agreements, and celebrity endorsements.
“A full-service powerhouse in this neck of the woods, Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt keenly recognizes the asset potential of intellectual property and has sculpted a robust soft IP and patent practice to help maximize the gains of its illustrious client base. A replete knowledge not just of trademarks but also of marketing and advertising law enables it to execute holistic solutions to any brand-related conundrum. In the driving seat is Michael Cohen, who is equal parts deft strategic counselor and ‘aggressive enforcer.’ Whatever the task at hand, he ‘gets brilliant results.'” – World Trademark Review “All-around superstar” Michael Cohen inspires and motivates his colleagues and makes in-house counsel look great. “Exceptionally smart, easygoing, and non-adversarial, Mike is rightly adored by his clients.” Best described as a brand strategist, Cohen is a leading light when it comes to prosecution, enforcement, and IP monetization. – World Trademark Review 1000
Chambers & Partners USA, client highlights
“Michael is terrific and gives good, practical business advice.”
“Michael is very practical, very business-minded, and able to get you what you need efficiently.”
“Michael approaches issues with judgment, thoroughness and seriousness while maintaining good humor and outlook to help carry the team through.”
- 20 years of experience in global trademark portfolio management, counseling, clearance, prosecution, enforcement, licensing, and litigation; technology transfer; IP due diligence for mergers and acquisitions; internet/e-commerce counseling; domain name recovery; and entertainment, media and advertising law.
- Currently responsible for over 2000 active domestic and international trademarks.
- Clients range from internationally-recognized sportswear, footwear and apparel brands, to food and beverage products, to financial services and technology companies.
- Named to the World’s Leading Trademark Professionals list, as published by the UK-based World Trademark Review.
- University of Oregon, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree (1996)
- University of Chicago, Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science (1989)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Intellectual Property Sections of the Oregon and Washington State Bars, Member
- American Bar Association Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries
- International Trademark Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- World Trademark Review 1000, Gold Band (2012-2022)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America®, Copyright Law, Intellectual Property Litigation, and Trademark Law (2012-2024)
- Ranked for Intellectual Property Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2018-2023)
- Selected to the Oregon Super Lawyers List, Intellectual Property (2006-2023)
- Received the designation of Oregon Copyright Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers (2016)
Spending time with family, enjoying live music, skiing and sailing.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox