How I represent clients at Schwabe
As a brand management attorney, I possess significant proficiencies in working with consumer product and software companies. I extend advice to my clients on all manner of intellectual property, data privacy, and commercial contracting matters.
I deliver practical guidance in the selection, registration, and enforcement of trademarks in the United States (and work with foreign counsel to do the same across the globe), copyright protection and enforcement, internet domain name disputes, the transfer and licensing of intellectual property rights, joint development agreements, and IP due diligence for mergers and acquisitions. I also provide counsel on various facets of advertising and promotional activities, such as reviewing marketing campaigns, copy, commercials, and press releases, and marketing, sponsorship, and influencer agreements.
With a broad clientele that includes enterprise and cloud software companies, I advise companies across many industries on software licensing and compliance with data privacy laws, both domestic and international, such as the CPRA in California and the GDPR in Europe. In this role, I draft privacy policies, interpret data privacy laws, and negotiate software licenses, data privacy addenda, and other agreements that relate to data privacy issues. I also assist with responses to data breaches and with U.S. and foreign government investigations into data privacy practices.
Being available and accessible to my clients is of the utmost importance to me, because I want to be involved in their everyday issues. To this end, my practice entails significant commercial contracting work: helping clients draft and negotiate all manner of supply, goods, and equipment agreements, services agreements, and consulting agreements.
- Served as outside privacy and contracting counsel to an industry-leading e-discovery platform provider, negotiating software license agreements, SLAs, and data privacy addendums with Fortune 500 companies.
- Secured important trade dress protection for a client’s signature shoe design.
- Counseled local software start-up in enforcing its trademark against encroachment from an international tech company in jurisdictions worldwide.
- Cleared and enforced the trademark portfolio of a nationwide network of financial planners.
- Advised client in securing the rights to famous bubble gum brand as collateral in contentious dispute.
- Guided local CBD company development from start-up to nationwide brand.
- Managed a years-long enforcement campaign protecting a market leader’s brand against frequent third-party infringement.
- Helped local band acquire the rights to its artwork from their designer.
- Updated and streamlined contracting library for a multi-national consumer electronics company.
- Shut down infringement of client’s popular mobile app brand across multiple app stores.
- University of Oregon, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree (2016)
- Kenyon College, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science (2012)
- Oregon State Courts
- International Trademark Association, Trademark Reporter Committee (2022 – present)
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law, Landslide Magazine, Editorial Board (2018-2022)
After the Ban: The Financial Landscape of International Soccer After Third-Party Ownership (authored a comment on the application of E.U. competition law to soccer); published in Oregon Law Review, Vol. 94, No. 1
Fraud at the Trademark Office, Oregon State Bar Intellectual Property Section (2023)
Trademark Panel: From the Basics to Current Issues, Oregon State Bar Intellectual Property Section CLE (2023)
ACC-WA 2022 Tech Summit: “What is IP Licensing, and Why Is It Important?” (2022)
Oregon Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, Pro Bono Attorney (2018 – Present)
Hiking and biking the Oregon coast.
Get in touch