Charmin B. Shiely
Charmin Shiely works with prominent businesses in a number of industries, including real estate development, seniors housing and maritime. She has spent the last 15 years assisting clients with their most important transactions.
Real estate development/financing
Charmin acts as lead counsel for high-profile Oregon real estate development projects, including most recently two downtown Portland high-rise office buildings, as well as apartment complexes, a single family housing development and senior housing projects. Charmin manages the financing and other contractual aspects of these complex legal projects, while teaming up with other colleagues in Schwabe’s real estate and construction industry group.
Charmin is lead counsel for several of the Northwest's leading seniors housing and assisted living facility developers and operators. She frequently assists with commercial and private equity financings for facility construction or refinancing (including the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Freddie Mac, and Fannie Mae financing), single property and large portfolio mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions, general contracting and regulatory advising.
Charmin provides transactional advice as part of Schwabe’s nationally recognized maritime law practice. She has a depth of experience with vessel build contracts, vessel sales, vessel financing, charter parties and port leases.
Equity and executive compensation/business transition
Charmin is a leader in structuring equity and executive compensation arrangements that comply with the myriad of applicable corporate, tax and securities laws. She is well versed in the equity and quasi-equity alternatives (i.e., restricted stock, restricted stock units, LLC profits interests, stock options, SARS, phantom stock, Employee Stock Purchase Plans), as well as deferred compensation and bonus arrangements. She also frequently represents both employers and executives in negotiating and drafting executive employment agreements.
Real estate development/acquisition
- Represents the developer of Broadway Tower, a 19-story hotel and office building in downtown Portland (under development).
Negotiated contracting and financing for:
- Pearl West office tower, a 9-story 155,000 RSF Class A office building in downtown Portland.
- Waterford Grand, 150 units of independent living, assisted living and memory care in Eugene.
- Riverwalk Apartments, 271 apartment units in Eugene.
- Seasons Apartments, 228 apartment units in Bend (in process).
- Farmington Reserve, a planned 65 single family home development in Bend (in process).
- Assisted in the purchase of Willamette Oaks and 2100 River Parkway office buildings in Portland.
- Represented the seller of Remington Apartments.
- Counseled both buyers and sellers of low-income housing tax credit projects.
Seniors housing M&A transactions
- Represented the seller in a $143 million portfolio sale of seniors housing communities.
- Advise both buyers and sellers in numerous individual assisted living, memory care, and independent living facility sales.
Maritime related transactions
- Represented owners of marine and industrial services companies in sale of their businesses.
- Represented Oregon Iron Works in the sale of the company to Vigor Industrial, which the Oregonian noted was the largest Oregon merger in the last decade.
- Drafted and negotiated a contract for construction in China of the largest drydock in North America.
- Drafted and negotiated a contract for construction in South Korea of prismatic cargo tanks for installation in client's newly constructed barges.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon Health Care Association, Member
- Washington Health Care Association, Member
- NAIOP, Member
- NIC, Attendee
- Maritime Law Association of United States, Member
- Maritime Commerce Club, Member
Resources & Ideas
- Portland Business Alliance, Leadership Portland (2015-2016)
- Member of Impact Project Team assisting New City Kitchen
- Campaign for Equal Justice, Advisory Committee Member
- Holy Trinity Catholic School, CYO Track Coach
- YMCA Columbia-Willamette, Board of Trustees and Child Care Division Board
- Holy Trinity Catholic School, School Advisory Committee
- Sisters in Spirit, Co-founder and Co-leader
- Virginia Garcia Memorial Foundation, Board of Directors (2007-2016)
- Holy Trinity Pastoral Council (2004-2007)
- Duke UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude (1996)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of LawJuris Doctor degree, high honors (2000)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Helping kids discover the joy of running through coaching CYO track.