Charmin B. Shiely
Charmin Shiely works with prominent businesses in a number of industries, including real estate development, and seniors housing. She has spent the last 18 years assisting clients with their most important transactions.
Real estate development/financing
Charmin acts as lead counsel for high-profile Oregon real estate development projects, including most recently two downtown Portland high-rise office buildings, as well as hotels, apartment complexes, a single family housing development and senior housing projects. Charmin manages the financing and other contractual aspects of these complex legal projects, while teaming up with other colleagues in Schwabe’s real estate and construction industry group.
Charmin is lead counsel for several of the Northwest's leading seniors housing and assisted living facility developers and operators. She frequently assists with commercial and private equity financings for facility construction or refinancing (including the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Freddie Mac, and Fannie Mae financing), single property and large portfolio mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions, general contracting and regulatory advising.
Equity and executive compensation/business transition
Charmin is a leader in structuring equity and executive compensation arrangements that comply with the myriad of applicable corporate, tax and securities laws. She is well versed in the equity and quasi-equity alternatives (i.e., restricted stock, restricted stock units, LLC profits interests, stock options, SARS, phantom stock, Employee Stock Purchase Plans), as well as deferred compensation and bonus arrangements. She also frequently represents both employers and executives in negotiating and drafting executive employment agreements.
Real estate development/acquisition
- Represents the developer of Broadway Tower, a 19-story hotel and office building in downtown Portland (under development).
Negotiated contracting and financing for development of:
- Pearl West office tower, a 9-story 155,000 RSF Class A office building in downtown Portland.
- Waterford Grand, 150 units of independent living, assisted living and memory care in Eugene.
- Riverwalk Apartments, 271 apartment units in Eugene.
- Seasons Apartments, 228 apartment units in Bend (in process).
- Farmington Reserve, a planned 65 single family home development in Bend (in process).
- Assisted in the purchase of Willamette Oaks and 2100 River Parkway office buildings in Portland.
- Represented the seller of Remington Apartments.
- Counseled both buyers and sellers of low-income housing tax credit projects.
Seniors housing M&A transactions
- Represented the seller in a $143 million portfolio sale of seniors housing communities.
- Advise both buyers and sellers in numerous individual assisted living, memory care, and independent living facility sales.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon Health Care Association, Member
- Washington Health Care Association, Member
- NAIOP, Member
- NIC, Attendee
Resources & Ideas
- The OregonianJune 20, 2019
- The OregonianThe Oregonian, June 1, 2018
- August 19, 2013
- February 18, 2010
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Oregon State Bar RELU Annual Summer Conference: Joint Ventures and Finance Agreements
Salishan Spa & Golf Resort, Gleneden Beach, Oregon August 12, 2016
- October 23, 2018
- Portland Business Alliance, Leadership Portland (2015-2016)
- Member of Impact Project Team assisting New City Kitchen
- Campaign for Equal Justice, Advisory Committee Member
- Holy Trinity Catholic School, CYO Track Coach
- YMCA Columbia-Willamette, Board of Trustees and Child Care Division Board
- Holy Trinity Catholic School, School Advisory Committee
- Sisters in Spirit, Co-founder and Co-leader
- Virginia Garcia Memorial Foundation, Board of Directors (2007-2016)
- Holy Trinity Pastoral Council (2004-2007)
- Duke UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude (1996)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of LawJuris Doctor degree, high honors (2000)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Helping kids discover the joy of running through coaching CYO track.