Charmin B. Shiely
Charmin Shiely works with prominent businesses in a number of industries, including real estate development, and seniors housing. She has spent the last 18 years assisting clients with their most important transactions.
Real estate development/financing
Charmin acts as lead counsel for high-profile Oregon real estate development projects, including most recently two downtown Portland high-rise office buildings, as well as hotels, apartment complexes, a single family housing development and senior housing projects. Charmin manages the financing and other contractual aspects of these complex legal projects, while teaming up with other colleagues in Schwabe’s real estate and construction industry group.
Charmin is lead counsel for several of the Northwest's leading seniors housing and assisted living facility developers and operators. She frequently assists with commercial and private equity financings for facility construction or refinancing (including the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Freddie Mac, and Fannie Mae financing), single property and large portfolio mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions, general contracting and regulatory advising.
Equity and executive compensation/business transition
Charmin is a leader in structuring equity and executive compensation arrangements that comply with the myriad of applicable corporate, tax and securities laws. She is well versed in the equity and quasi-equity alternatives (i.e., restricted stock, restricted stock units, LLC profits interests, stock options, SARS, phantom stock, Employee Stock Purchase Plans), as well as deferred compensation and bonus arrangements. She also frequently represents both employers and executives in negotiating and drafting executive employment agreements.
Real estate development/acquisition
- Represents the developer of Broadway Tower, a 19-story hotel and office building in downtown Portland (under development).
Negotiated contracting and financing for development of:
- Pearl West office tower, a 9-story 155,000 RSF Class A office building in downtown Portland.
- Waterford Grand, 150 units of independent living, assisted living and memory care in Eugene.
- Riverwalk Apartments, 271 apartment units in Eugene.
- Seasons Apartments, 228 apartment units in Bend (in process).
- Farmington Reserve, a planned 65 single family home development in Bend (in process).
- Assisted in the purchase of Willamette Oaks and 2100 River Parkway office buildings in Portland.
- Represented the seller of Remington Apartments.
- Counseled both buyers and sellers of low-income housing tax credit projects.
Seniors housing M&A transactions
- Represented the seller in a $143 million portfolio sale of seniors housing communities.
- Advise both buyers and sellers in numerous individual assisted living, memory care, and independent living facility sales.
Memberships & Awards
- NAIOP, Member
- CREW, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Business Law Section, Executive Committee Member
- Oregon Health Care Association, Former Member
- Washington Health Care Association, Former Member
- DJC Oregon, Women of Vision 2019
Resources & Ideas
- Daily Journal of CommerceOctober 31, 2019
- Daily Journal of CommerceOctober 25, 2019
- The OregonianJune 20, 2019
- The OregonianThe Oregonian, June 1, 2018
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- DJC Oregon Builder Breakfast Series: The Future of Senior Living Construction: Building Communities for Our ParentsDaily Journal of Commerce OregonSeptember 23, 2021
- June 5, 2020
Oregon State Bar RELU Annual Summer Conference: Joint Ventures and Finance Agreements
Salishan Spa & Golf Resort, Gleneden Beach, Oregon August 12, 2016
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 4August 12, 2021
- Asking for Forgiveness: Further Revised PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications and Guidance (Updated 08/12/2021)August 12, 2021
- August 3, 2021
- First Draw Loans at or Over $2 million—SBA Discontinues Use of Necessity Questionnaires and What Is NextAugust 3, 2021
- What to Know about the Paycheck Protection Program, Round Two – First Draw PPP Loans (Updated 5/5/2021)May 5, 2021
- 10 Things to Know about Second Draw PPP Loans as Updated for the Economic Aid Act and the ARP Act (Updated 5/5/2021)May 5, 2021
- PPP Ineligibility Update: Businesses Ineligible for First Draw and Second Draw PPP Loans (Updated 4/8/2021)April 8, 2021
- March 25, 2021
- American Rescue Plan Act: Changes to Paycheck Protection Program, Certain Tax and ERISA Provisions, and Other Small Business ReliefMarch 12, 2021
- New 14-day exclusive period for businesses with fewer than 20 employees starts February 24February 23, 2021
- January 27, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 2January 26, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 3January 26, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 1January 26, 2021
- Highlights of PPP Loan Items in the Economic Aid to Hard-Hit Small Businesses, Nonprofits, and Venues Act and 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act (Updated 01/06/2021)January 6, 2021
- December 30, 2020
- November 5, 2020
- August 19, 2020
- August 12, 2020
- August 7, 2020
- SBA Issues Additional PPP Rules on Effect of State and Local COVID-19 Orders and Other Items on Loan ForgivenessJune 29, 2020
- What to Know for Businesses Completing the Revised PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications (Updated 6/25/2020)June 25, 2020
- June 19, 2020
- June 11, 2020
- June 10, 2020
- June 4, 2020
- April 29, 2020
- April 24, 2020
- April 14, 2020
- March 31, 2020
- October 23, 2018
- Portland Business Alliance, Leadership Portland (2015-2016)
- YMCA Columbia-Willamette, Board Chair of Trustees and Child Care Division Board
- Campaign for Equal Justice, Large Firm Committee and Advisory Board
- CYO Cross Country Running Commission, Chair (2021)
- Holy Trinity Catholic Parish, Administrative Council
- Holy Trinity Catholic School, School Advisory Committee
- Holy Trinity Catholic School, CYO Track Coach
- Holy Trinity Catholic School, CYO Head Cross Country Coach (2021)
- Sisters in Spirit, Co-founder and Co-leader
- Virginia Garcia Memorial Foundation, Board of Directors (2007-2016)
- Holy Trinity Pastoral Council (2004-2007)
- Member of Impact Project Team assisting New City Kitchen
- Duke UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude (1996)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of LawJuris Doctor degree, high honors (2000)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Helping kids discover the joy of running through coaching CYO track.