I strive to find the intersection of a client’s business goals and the legal mechanism to accomplish each goal.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I draw upon my MBA and LL.M. in Taxation to advise individuals and closely held businesses on the practical implications of their decisions. I help clients achieve their objectives and safeguard their interests while focusing on both short- and long-term sustainability.
I advise clients at various stages of their respective life cycles on entity formation, growth strategies, maintenance, succession planning, finance options, tax strategies, preparing for and executing purchase or sale, and dissolution.
Serving as general counsel for both for-profit and nonprofit organizations, I work on matters ranging from corporate governance to risk analysis and mitigation, mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiations and drafting, real estate transactions, and state and federal regulatory compliance.
- Represented local and national closely held businesses in preparing, negotiating, and closing business-sale transactions, including sale and purchase of a manufacturer of machined and fabricated components, a hardscape and landscape supplies retailer, multiple restaurant franchises, a geotechnical engineering firm, dental and veterinary clinics, and an auto-body repair business with multiple locations.
- Provide guidance and counsel to clients for entity formation, organizational structuring, and succession planning, including sportswear and apparel retailers and wholesalers, sheet metal manufacturers, real estate brokerage firms, a fiberglass component manufacturer, and a ship contractor.
- Act as general counsel for multiple for-profit and nonprofit entities, including a national permanent-outdoor-lighting manufacturer, local restaurant owners and franchisees, and university-affiliated groups.
- Assist clients with business transactions and contract negotiations, including construction-related agreements; vendor and distribution agreements; services agreements; sponsorship agreements; intellectual property assignment and licensing; and name, image, likeness matters.
- Represented sheet-metal manufacturer and siding/flooring manufacturer in the organizational and financial structuring and purchase of a new office and manufacturing facility.
- Served as counsel for university-affiliated entity in 99-year lease and large development project.
- Georgetown University Law Center, Masters of Laws (LL.M.) Taxation (2017)
- Willamette University College of Law, Juris Doctor degree, Business Law Certificate, cum laude (2015)
- Willamette University, Atkinson Graduate School of Management, Master of Business Administration (2015)
- University of Oregon, Bachelor of Science, Business Administration and Management (2010)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- Washington State Bar Association (2022-present)
- Multnomah County Bar Association (2020-present)
- Oregon State Bar Business Law Section and Taxation Section (2018-present)
- Oregon State Bar House of Delegates (2018-2019)
- Oregon State Bar Association (2015-present)
- Oregon Minority Lawyers Division (2015-present)
- Oregon New Lawyers Division (2015-present)
Collegiate Athletes: The Conflict Between NCAA Amateurism and a Student Athlete’s Right of Publicity, 51 Willamette L. Rev. 101 (published fall 2014)
- Boys and Girls Club of Salem Youth Executive Board (2018-2020)
- Oregon Junior Racquetball Association Board of Directors (2018-present)
- Sprague High School Racquetball Coach (2006-present)
Outside the office, you can find me spending time with my wife, two daughters, and dog (affectionately named Wallace, after Rasheed Wallace), pursuing various athletic endeavors (usually with limited success), and cheering on the Ducks, Blazers, Timbers, and 49ers.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox