Maria has been practicing in the areas of Estate Planning and Administration since 2007 and works out of both Schwabe’s Salem and Portland offices. Maria’s practice focuses on all aspects of estate planning, charitable planning, business and farm succession, guardianships, conservatorships, probate and trust administration.
Maria frequently provides seminars on various aspects of tax, estate and legacy planning for non-profits, CPAs, financial advisors, insurance and other professionals. Maria works with clients to develop custom estate plans based on individual goals and values.
Common focus areas include planning around:
- Blended Families
- Minor Children
- State and Federal Estate, Gift, Generation-skipping and Income Taxes
- Special Needs
- Charitable Giving
- Farm and Business Succession
- Deferred Retirement Accounts
- Spendthrift, Addiction, and Family Health Concerns
Common strategies Maria employs include:
- Revocable Living Trusts
- Charitable Lead / Remainder Trusts
- Charitable Foundations
- Qualified Domestic Trusts
- Spousal Access Trusts
- Life Insurance Trusts
- Special Needs Trusts
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts
- Gifting Trusts
- Generation-Skipping Lifetime Trusts
Maria owned her own law practice, Willamette Valley Estate Planning & Probate, LLC, prior to joining Schwabe. She currently serves on the Chemeketa Community College Foundation Board and the Willamette Valley Estate Planning Council Board. As a native Oregonian, Maria loves the outdoors, especially spending time with her husband and two sons in the mountains of eastern Oregon.
- Developing family farm succession plans that dovetail estate plans for three generations of hazelnut farmers in the Willamette Valley and ensure the farms can stay in the family.
- Creating various Qualified Domestic Trusts for noncitizen spouses from India, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
- Creating a Charitable Lead Annuity Trust and funding it with $1 million that will go to charity for the next 20 years and then will ultimately pass to family estate and gift tax free.
- Developing lifetime trusts for family members who are unable to manage their own inheritance and structuring such trusts to protect the beneficiaries.
- Ensuring that blended families create estate plans that protect the spouse and plan for the children from a previous marriage.
- Creating an irrevocable trust that is qualified to hold life insurance, as well as business interests, in order to maximize estate tax planning and ensure a family business will continue onto the next generation.
- Ensuring commercial real estate is owned in the best way possible, both for asset protection planning and estate planning, in order to transition it to family after death and minimize family conflict and taxes.
- Developing plans for small businesses so that if there is an emergency, the businesses can continue.
- Creating a plan for a financial advising firm to determine succession in the event of the owner’s disability or death.
- Assisting physicians in structuring an estate plan that maximizes asset protection
- Ensuring that families with special needs children or other relatives have a plan in place that allows the children to continue to receive public assistance but provides inheritance and care for the special needs individual.
- Creating legacy wealth transfer plans for high net worth individuals that maximize tax savings and ensure that wealth can benefit family for several generations.
Memberships & Awards
- Marion County Bar, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Estate Planning Section, Member
- Wealth Counsel, Member
- OPB Planned Giving Council
- Willamette Valley Estate Planning Counsel, Board Member
- Salem Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Leadership Salem, Member (2012-2013)
- Regis High School Foundation, Board Member
- Chemeketa Community College Foundation, Board Member
- Bar People, Oregon State Bar Bulletin (July 2020)
Resources & Ideas
- April 19, 2021
- February 28, 2020
- Capital PressJanuary 15, 2020
- Capital PressJune 4, 2018
- December 5, 2017
- Attorneys and Staff from Two Salem Firms Join Schwabe, Bolstering Its Agriculture, Forest Products FocusSchwabe expands its Salem office space to accommodate five new professionalsMay 4, 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Ethics in Farm Succession5th National Farm Viability Conference PanelOctober 27, 2021
- The OPB Planned Giving CouncilAugust 26, 2021
- Zoom / Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, 1211 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1900 Portland, OR 97204, July 27, 2021
- Chemeketa FoundationOctober 26, 2020
- Rogue Farm CorpsFebruary 26, 2020
- January 28, 2020
- January 15, 2020
- November 25, 2019
- February 16, 2019
- January 17, 2019
- 2018 Washington Dairy ConferenceDecember 4, 2018
- October 23, 2018
- October 9, 2018
- Mid-Valley Tax Forum Luncheon Series: Income and Estate Tax Considerations for Appreciated Real Estate in a Credit Shelter TrustJune 19, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- April 19, 2018
- January 10, 2018
- Farm Succession SeminarChemeketa Community College, Farm ProgramDecember 12, 2017
- November 10, 2017
- Estate Planning SeminarPerkins & Co.November 2, 2017
- Dust Off Your Estate PlanChemeketa Community College FoundationSeptember 20, 2017
- Estate Planning SeminarSalem ElectricJune 29, 2017
- September 24, 2021
- June 15, 2021
- Capital PressMarch 24, 2019
- November 21, 2018
- January 16, 2018
- Tax Reform: What Does the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Mean for the Manufacturing, Distribution and Retail Industry?January 10, 2018
- January 10, 2018
- Tax Reform: What Does the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Mean for the Transportation, Ports and Maritime Industry?January 10, 2018
- January 10, 2018
- January 9, 2018
- January 9, 2018
- December 28, 2017
- Regis High School Foundation, Board of Directors (2015-2021)
- Oregon Community Foundation, Leadership Council, Willamette Valley (2014-2019)
- Oregon Community Foundation, Grant reviewer (2015-2018)
- St. Mary School, School Advisory Council (2012-2015)
- Cub Scout Pack 50, Stayton Sublimity, Webelos Co-Den Leader (2012-2014)
- St. Mary School Parent Club, Executive Board, President (2011-2012)
- YWCA of Salem, Board of Directors (2007-2010)
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor degree, 2007, magna cum laude
- Whitman CollegeBachelor of Arts, Environmental Science/Political Science, 2001
Oregon State Bar