How I represent clients at Schwabe
A seasoned litigator, helping clients resolve complex disputes. I am experienced in a variety of courts including trial and appellate, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Alaska Supreme Court. I have argued cases in both state and federal courts for bench and jury trials, and have argued more than 25 appeals to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Alaska Supreme Court.
With a strong background in the natural resources industry, I have served as counselor and litigator to Alaska Native Corporations, private businesses, and public agencies on cases involving land use, water law, pollution and spills, permitting and regulatory compliance, public governance, and other corporate matters. This familiarity of the industry landscape allows me to strategically approach each case with efficiency and sound judgment.
Known for my courtroom advocacy skills in handling diverse cases involving corporate disputes, employment claims, torts, education law, and election law.
Chambers & Partners USA, client highlights
“I would wholeheartedly recommend Mr. Singer to any party in need of top-drawer counsel.”
“Matt communicates well, he is responsive, a very informed lawyer who understands the law very well.”
Environmental regulation and litigation
- Defended a mining company executive in a federal jury trial of six felony counts charged under the Clean Water Act, obtaining an acquittal or hung jury on all felony charges.
- Achieved a $2.2 million settlement in a dispute involving environmental contamination.
- Prevailed following a lengthy trial on behalf of a prominent mining company in defending against a constitutional challenge to mineral exploration permits.
- Won a trespass trial for a fishing lodge owner against neighboring lodges that claimed a historic trail allowed them to cross the property and tie up airplanes to its banks.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction for a mining company halting termination of an option agreement to acquire substantial mineral claims related to a large prospective gold mine.
- Served as general counsel to one of Oregon’s largest irrigation districts, providing general advice and litigation counsel on water law, land use, and public governance issues.
Class action lawsuits
- Defended a chain of retail outlets from unfair trade practices class action and obtained settlement on favorable terms.
- Obtained a $1.7 million judgment after a lengthy trial in an architecture malpractice case.
- Obtained several injunctions in theft of trade secret and breach of fiduciary duty cases involving theft by former employees and/or business partners.
- Successfully defended employers in a wide range of actions, including a whistleblower action filed by former employees, a wrongful death and excessive force claim stemming from an arrest by a public safety officer, and wrongful discharge and overtime claims filed by former employees.
- Obtained one of Alaska’s largest jury verdicts in history in a whistleblower retaliation case.
- Defended a school district in a $30 million brain injury claim.
- Obtained a directed verdict for the city of Seward, Alaska, in a personal injury case.
- Obtained a summary judgment for several police departments in a wrongful death and injury claim arising from police practices.
- Won a directed verdict after a trial in a First Amendment retaliation case against a public employer.
- Successfully challenged in the Alaska Supreme Court a local ballot initiative that sought to preclude new resource development projects in a large region of southwest Alaska.
- Challenged the Lieutenant Governor in court for refusing to certify a fish conservation ballot initiative.
- Obtained summary judgment striking a version of a ballot initiative that threatened to prevent all new mining in Alaska.
- Successfully defended numerous campaigns before the Alaska Public Offices Commission (APOC), and investigated and prosecuted an APOC complaint about campaign misconduct that resulted in the largest settlement in state history.
- Lewis & Clark, Law School, Juris Doctor degree, Certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law, cum laude (1999)
- Colorado College, Bachelor of Arts degree (1994)
- Alaska State Courts
- Oregon State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Alaska
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Ranked for Litigation: General Commercial in Alaska, Chambers USA (2020-2023)
- Selected to the Alaska Super Lawyers List, Civil Litigation (2011-2015, 2018-2023)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation (2023-2024)
- CASA of Central Oregon, Pro Bono Counsel (2016-2020)
- Alaska Run for Women, Board Member (2012-2016)
Seeking new adventures with my wife and daughter.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox