2017 Chambers USA Rankings Give Schwabe High Marks
Six practice areas and 20 attorneys singled out for excellence
PORTLAND, Ore. (June 5, 2017) – Leading Pacific Northwest law firm Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt has once again been recognized for excellence by Chambers USA, the nation’s most widely used legal services rankings guide. In its 2017 rankings, Schwabe is identified as an industry leader in six practice areas: Corporate / M&A, Environment, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, General Commercial Litigation, and Real Estate. Schwabe’s Intellectual Property practice received Chambers’ highest ranking for the second straight year, while General Commercial Litigation increased its ranking from 2016.
“Our culture demands that we be more than exceptional attorneys; we immerse ourselves in our clients’ industries to understand how trends and market shifts will impact strategy,” said Mark Long, Managing Partner of Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt. “We also place a high value on being easy to work with, which leads to stronger partnerships. I’m proud to see these traits show up in Chambers’ analysis of Schwabe.”
Chambers ranks a firm’s practice areas based on the qualities of the attorneys and on the effectiveness and capability of the practice as a whole. As part of Chambers’ research, significant outreach is also conducted to each firm’s clients in order to generate qualitative findings. Below are select comments Chambers received from Schwabe clients regarding their practice areas and attorneys:
Corporate / M&A
- Possesses significant knowledge and expertise in sectors, including timberland, maritime and healthcare.
- “The team as a whole works well together. They make us feel like we are one of their biggest clients, even if we are not.”
- Robust client base includes those involved in the manufacturing and natural resource industries.
- “They seem to me to be very customer-focused and are close partners in our success.”
- A number of interviewees highlight the group's strength in the water law space, with one source affirming that "Schwabe is outstanding."
- Acclaimed IP practice capable of providing a wide range of patent, trademark, litigation and licensing advice. Client base includes many leading Northwest companies from a number of industries, including technology and natural resources. Also offers recognized expertise in strategic counseling and prosecution issues.
Labor & Employment
- Experienced in representing clients from sectors such as technology, financial services, transportation and natural resources.
- "All of the work that they have done with us has exceeded our expectations and has been so clear and concise."
- "Very knowledgeable.” Written briefs are "head and shoulders above other attorneys.”
Litigation: General Commercial
- Relied on by clients from the maritime, manufacturing and technology sectors, among others.
- Well-regarded real estate practice skilled in developments and leasings and financings in the industrial, office and residential spaces. Also known for work on construction, timberland and land use issues.
- "This team delivers great value by matching the services we need with the experience and talent accumulated by Schwabe."
In addition to the six practice areas cited above, 20 individual Schwabe attorneys were singled out as industry leaders based on their legal knowledge and experience, their ability, their effectiveness, and their client services. These Schwabe attorneys are:
- Jamee B. Asher
- David F. Bartz, Jr.
- Carmen Calzacorta
- Michael Cohen
- Thomas Dulcich
- Scott Eads
- Brien Flanagan
- Gregory Fullem
- Michael Garone
- John Guinasso
- Terry Hauck
- Peter E. Heuser
- Bradley Maier
- Mark Manulik
- Martha O. Pagel
- Joel A. Parker
- Steven Prewitt
- Elizabeth A. Schleuning
- Mark Stayer
- Tom Tongue
Chambers USA is one of the definitive sources for law firm and attorney rankings due to their extensive market research and in-depth interviews with legal influencers and client representatives. According to a survey of in-house counsels, 51 percent rely on Chambers’ rankings for guidance on hiring firms and attorneys. The 2017 rankings can be accessed at www.chambersandpartners.com.
- David Bartz, Jr.Chair Emeritus
- Carmen CalzacortaShareholder
- Michael CohenIndustry Group Leader
- Scott EadsShareholder
- Brien FlanaganIndustry Group Leader
- Greg FullemShareholder
- Michael GaroneShareholder
- Terry HauckShareholder
- Peter HeuserShareholder
- Bradley MaierShareholder
- Mark ManulikRetired Shareholder
- Joel ParkerShareholder
- Steven PrewittShareholder
- Elizabeth SchleuningShareholder
- Mark StayerShareholder
- Thomas TongueShareholder